Alleged Bondi Gunmen Operated Solo and Did Not Training in the Philippines, Authorities State.
The two suspected gunmen who carried out the fatal shooting at a Jewish gathering on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, reportedly been lone actors, per Australian police.
Authorities also confirmed that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved landing in the capital Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The duo returned to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Preparation During Stay
Investigators indicate the individuals did not receive any type of terrorist coaching or "logistical preparation" during their stay in the Philippines. Preliminary inquiries from Philippine officials point to they "hardly ventured out of" their accommodation.
The attack—described as Australia's deadliest firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally declared a terrorist incident.
"We are currently analyzing the evidence," the commissioner said, adding that initial reviews show that "these individuals are believed to have operated independently."
Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett informed media on Tuesday that security camera video documenting the accused attackers' whereabouts in the Philippines had been provided to Australian investigators.
"Our investigation shows no evidence to indicate these alleged offenders were members of a broader terrorist cell, or were directed by others to carry out an act of violence," the police chief stated.
However, the men were also not in the Philippines on a leisure trip, she clarified. She emphasized that, since the probe is ongoing, new evidence may surface.
Inspiration and Court Proceedings
Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it looks as though both accused gunmen were "motivated by Islamic State" extremist views.
During the incident, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying firearms—are accused of having opened fire on participants at the Hanukkah celebration.
Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the attack, has been formally accused of 59 crimes. These include 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is expected to appear in court in April.
Immigration Details
In the aftermath following the attack, immigration officials in the Philippines stated that the older suspect had entered the country using an foreign passport, while his younger suspect used an Australian passport.
The duo had listed the southern city of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their scheduled journey back to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a large city on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' primary island in the south. The region is known because, Militant militants have been known to operate in impoverished parts of central and south-western Mindanao.